Boat Handling & Seamanship
Enjoying Your Day, Comfortably
Performance & Efficiency
Ports of Call & Places to Anchor
Holiday Fish Chowder
What to do with a package of fresh-frozen white meat fish? How about a steaming hot chowder? Here’s an idea for a simple chowder that fits the bill perfectly, just in time for the holidays.
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 cups chicken (or vegetable) stock
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 2 pounds fish (white meat like cod, haddock, wahoo is best), diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning™, or to taste
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 (12 fluid ounce) cans evaporated milk
- cooked crumbled bacon (optional)
- In a large stockpot, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Saute onions, mushrooms and celery in butter until tender.
- Add stock and potatoes; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add fish, and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Mix together clam juice and flour until smooth; stir into soup and simmer for 1 minute more. Season to taste with Old Bay seasoning, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat, and stir in evaporated milk. Top each bowl with crumbled bacon, if desired.
Thanks to AllRecipes.com