Boat Handling & Seamanship
Enjoying Your Day, Comfortably
Performance & Efficiency
Ports of Call & Places to Anchor
Dogs on Board
Thanks to Boat U.S. for these pointers to keep in mind when you have your dog aboard:
- Familiarize the dog with the boat slowly. Give them a chance to sniff around and get their sea legs. It may help to start the engine so they are used the sound.
- Plan for falls overboard, either from the boat or dock. If the dog falls overboard underway–or jumps in–you may be able to circle back and retrieve your Buddy like a fallen water skier. Pull up slowly, cut the engine and lure the dog to the swim platform with a treat.
- Bring plenty of water and make sure there's some place the dog can get out of the sun and stay as cool as possible.
- If you’re going out on the boat for more than a few hours, plan how your dog will relieve itself, and pick up after your dog, no matter where they go.
- Does your boat's insurance policy cover pets?
Much more on this topic: https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/lifestyle/pets