Patents, trademarks, exclusive features, pioneering designs and bold ideas: the remarkable story of Grady-White innovation.
The bold idea behind Grady-White when the company was founded 60 years ago was to make solid, tough, well-built boats to take on the open waters of North Carolina, the Northeast and–today–all around the world. That fundamental concept remains, and over the years countless breakthroughs, innovations, patents, pioneering designs, and exclusive features and options–big and small–have marked Grady-White’s steady march on that journey. Today, without any doubt, through superb engineering, consistent ownership and management, exceptional attention to detail, innovation, and amazing craftsmanship, Grady-White continues to create the world’s finest coastal boats. Throughout the decades, Grady-White boats have been recognized for their superior build and classic style, but a closer look reveals that Grady-White’s record of exclusive innovations is unmatched by any competitive brand. Take a look at just a small fraction of the inventive developments that contribute to delivering the ultimate boating experience.
Breakthrough concept/pioneering design The walkaround cabin concept was introduced in 1974, providing both protection and shelter and easy access forward. This proven Grady-White design remains the perfect coastal boat choice for many customers
- Exclusive Innovation In 1972 Grady-White moves into a new plant–a facility that remains today, through continuous improvement, one of the most modern and efficient boat manufacturing facilities in the world. You are invited to visit.
- Pioneering design In 1975, Grady improved the “hardcore” center console design with creature comfort that customers wanted. Today, Grady offers the most complete line of center consoles starting at 18 feet, and including a new dimension in outboard center console fishability and luxury, the 45-foot LOA, 14-foot beam Canyon 456.
- Breakthrough concept/pioneering design In 1978, Grady introduced the Kingfish 254, the largest fully fiberglass coastal boat to date. In 1980, the outboard version of that boat, the Sailfish 255, led Grady-White owners to confidently and safely venture far offshore.
Breakthrough concept/pioneering design The original saltwater dual console. The Tarpon 190 is created in 1979, complete with fiberglass liner, “bullet proof” tough hull, storage, and fish features. Today, with 40 years of experience, Grady defines the state of the art of the popular dual console boat design.
- Exclusive innovation and registered trademark hull design. Grady-White’s SeaV2® hull debuted in 1989, with its continuous variable vee–then and now providing the proven best ride on the water. One ride will convince you!
- Unprecedented recognition for customer satisfaction During the 1990s, independent Marine Matrix studies showed Grady-White at the very top levels of satisfaction. In 2001, Grady-White begins a string of all nine JD Power and Associates top rankings and all 16 NMMA CSI Awards. No competitive company is even close to that record.
- Breakthrough concept The Express 330 takes outboard powered boating to an entirely new level in 2002, with the room, comfort, and fishability of 40-foot-plus inboards. Grady continues to lead the industry in outboard power innovation.
Patented seating Grady-White introduces the company’s aft fold down bench seat assembly in 2003, providing the “best seat in the house” and quickly and easily folding out of the way. There‘s nothing else like it! This feature expanded across the line with new products each year.
- Patented seating Grady-White’s new Tournament 275 in 2006 introduces the electronically controlled convertible lounge seat and seat assembly.
- Breakthrough concept Taking advantage of further advances in horsepower of outboard engines, in 2013 Grady-White introduced the industry’s largest dual console to date–the Freedom 375.
- Pioneering design The first of Grady-White’s Coastal Explorer series, the 251 CE, came out in 2014, joined by the 191 CE in 2015. These models feature a shallower draft for inland waters, coupled with the legendary SeaV2 ride.
NOW AND THE FUTURE
- Exclusive, one-of-a-kind owner’s information/intelligent iPad application tool Captain Grady iPad and iPhone application first created in 2012 delivers information and confidence so that even first-time boaters can operate the boat with complete confidence.
Exclusive innovation and trademarked hardtop enclosure The AirView AV2® hardtop enclosure first offered in 2013 takes the hardtop comfort feature to a new level of both openness and protection. In 2015, the AV2® integrated hardtop appears, and in 2018 the AV2® T-top debuts.
- Patented seating In 2014, Grady’s three-position sliding and tilting companion seat assembly breaks new ground in dual console comfort.
- Patented boat access The fold down cockpit step assembly becomes a feature in 2016 and makes boarding and disembarking a Grady-White easy for all the crew and guests.
- Patented Seatbacks Grady-White’s new Canyon 271 in 2017 introduces the Fold Away Forward Facing Bolstered Backrests.
- Patent pending interior rod racks The flagship Canyon 456 is first shown in Miami in 2018, with integrated sliding rack rod storage in the console cabin’s forward gunwales.